Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Ring of Kerry

We've learned that people eat a little later over here.  Cathy & I stopped into a restaurant on our way to the cinema (I said "movie" and I was politely corrected).  The menu featured early bird specials from 5-7:30 p.m.!

I have mentioned the fare that comprises a traditional Irish breakfast in earlier posts., sausages, ham, eggs etc.  With this in mind, it only makes sense that we came across this, just down the street.  The defibrillator booth is very much like a phone booth here, no phone but it does have a defibrillator.

We took a day long tour around the Ring of Kerry today.  The weather was a little "dewey" or "soft" meaning it rained off and on all day.  There was still some stunning scenery.  

Part of the tour included a brief stop at a famine village.  
There were actual time period buildings, supplemented with recreations of buildings used during the time of the potato famine.  We are so very grateful that my descendants left Ireland.  It was a terrible time in this nation's history and they suffered more than most of could have endured.

Part of the tour included a lunch (ok, I see the irony of going right from the famine village to lunch) in the small village of Waterville.  In the village there is a life size statue of Charlie Chaplin placed in a place of prominence.  It seems he spent a good deal of time here.  Who knew?

Upon returning to Killarney we checked out St. Mary Cathedral, another unexpected gem!


4 comments:

  1. It's amazing that they have a big cathedral there. I looked it up and Killarney's population is 14,000 and all of County Kerry is just 147,000.
    I hope you have a minimum of soft weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am learning so much from your posts and thankful for the pictures. I have read a fair number of books depicting the famine years and the troubles, you make them come to life. Even though this is not your first trip to Ireland, it is wonderful you can just mosey along and spend as much time you want where you want to. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say it, but you know I will. I knew about Charlie Chaplin. I’m glad you traveled The Ring of Kerry. The west of Ireland was the hardest hit by the famine. Over one million people died and over one million people left Ireland during that terrible time. It left Ireland with only 25% of its population. It is hard for us to imagine, but I’m sure being there made it seem more real. Thanks for the update on your adventures. I’d love to see the scenery on The Ring of Kerry. Looking forward to hearing more each day. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete