Monday, February 18, 2019

Pizza, Sea Oats and Kite surfing


It is an undisputed fact that campers are some of the nicest people in the world.  

It was certainly true of the old couple from Indiana who stood on the back bumper of our trailer so that I could lift the front of the trailer after it fell off the car.

It was even more true about Andi and Tom who camped next to us.   One night they
gave us a huge pizza that the pizza guy had delivered after making a mistake on their take-out order.  And it was true of a man named Dave who camped across the road from us.  Dave reached the age of senior citizen a few years back.  He came down from Rockford, Illinois by himself.  When we tried to give the extra pizza to him, he declined. However, earlier in the day he had met a woman who was camping with four little children and no other adult.  He brought us over to her and she was excited to accept the portion of the pizza that had no meat as she and the children were vegetarians.  None the less she took the meat side of the pizza for the kind people that were camping next to her.  

So, if you’re keeping track, the official count was one pizza and five  campsites. 

Campers are some of the nicest people in the world.
********************
Adapting and rolling with the punches is one of the keys to successful camping.  

Our next destination was to be Johnathan Dickinson State Campground in Hobe Sound.  Hobe Sound is on the Atlantic coast and is about 4 hours from where we are.  We’ve gotten some reports that the campground was damaged by some storms and that now shade was a scarcity.   

However our hosts/landlords of the house in The Villages are returning to Wisconsin unexpectedly early and said we could move into their house after they leave at no additional cost.  So our next adaption is extending our stay at Fort DeSoto before temporarily mothballing the camper and heading to the Villages. 

I wasn't sure what sea oats were so I picked everything and brought it all to the ranger station to be identified.   They laughed and laughed.










I decided to try kite surfing.  Here I am on my first attempt.









As I got better I went for a few jumps.

Some of my friends joined me after a while.

I wish any of this were true.  It looked fun but like my dream of playing profootball or swimming with the Henderson Swim team, I think that part of life may have passed me by.  

11 comments:

  1. ....don’t leave us hanging.
    What are Sea Oats??
    Picture please😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sea oats, also known as seaside oats, araña, and arroz de costa, is a tall subtropical grass that is an important component of coastal sand dune and beach plant communities in the southeastern United States.

      Delete
  2. You sure had me fooled about the kite surfing. Now I’m wondering if any of your pizza story is true. Oh what a tangled web...
    Have fun in The Villages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stories, well told, and I may believe some of them. I think life in the Villages will be relaxing and more luxurious, but maybe not as full of adventure. Oh, and thanks for the info on seaside oats, I had been wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing, I'm wearing a tuxedo as I read this. 86 degrees in the Villages today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we've been debating whether or not to buy a camper and jump back into the game. Not sure we'd pass the test though. How nice would we have to be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wasnt ted bundy a camper...just sayin!

    ReplyDelete